Tuesday, May 13, 2008

uncontrollable, but in canonical form

It's blank.  
For the first time in a while 
I remembered to check that page, 
and it's blank again.  How did this happen?  
I was waiting and hoping that you couldn't come back.  
But damn you, you stupid thoughts, 
you have escaped that page on which 
I scribbled you in that nook of my brain 
where I keep things to forget about.  Now, 
instead of being solidly attached to 
words and ink and reality on a piece of paper to 
ignore, you are wandering around in my head, 
so that if I am careless, 
I bump into you and you make me stumble.  
Why couldn't you stay anchored back there 
with the memory of my first 
embarrassing moment in second grade 
when I mistook a friend for someone else?  
Instead I am forced to run from you 
cowering, afraid of falling over you, 
you stupid thoughts.  
Today I guess I kept running until I was the one 
in the closet with the door closed, not you.  I run 
because I cannot fight, but I hate being 
caged in here, afraid to come out unless I run 
haphazardly, jumping over obstacles and 
throwing sheets over everything that moves.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?